A moment of ONE is lined by TWO
A SLM Conversation with Shari Hunter, founder of the Two Cafe & Boutique
(Helping the world see the strengths and greatness in individuals with exceptionalities such as Down syndrome and autism)
Two are better than one. We lift each other up. As Shari Hunter, the guest of this episode, says “we can do it TWO-get
This idea of TWO is the inspiration for the name Two Café & Boutique (“the Two”) in Chagrin Falls, Ohio that was founded by Shari. While the Two serves delicious, organic, and healthy food and sells unique gifts and clothes, it’s purpose and vision is much more.
It serves as a training place and job placement coordinator for adults with exceptionalities such as Down syndrome and autism. At the Two, individuals gain real work experience and employment as they learn and practice job skills. They take these skills with them when they enter the workforce in their community. And, the Two started with Shari’s son, Derek.
Shari explains that Derek is the reason behind the Two. When Derek was born with exceptionalities, Shari didn’t believe that his life should be limited as society often does. Neither did he. He graduated from Kent State University; he is married, and he is now working at the Two. If you have a moment, check out the Two’s website at: https://www.twocafeandboutique.com/
Through the Two, Shari and Derek, TWO-gether, give a message of love, purpose strength, unity, community, kindness, and more. If you want to fill yourself up with a positive outlook for humanity, you will want listen to this episode.
In this episode, Shari and I discuss:
- the inspiration for the name Two Café & Boutique (It’s from Ecclesiastes 4:9-10: “Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, For he has no one to help him up.”)
- how everyone has their own greatness and purpose, how “there is no them”, and how at the Two, “[w]e do us”
- the Two is a small place with a big dream to change the workforce across America and the world that opens doors for all people
- her message to people with exceptionalities: you can and you do belong as much as anybody else
- success stories of those who completed the Two’s training
- how Shari took her idea for the Two and created it and some of the lessons she learned along the way
- the positive impact that those who completed the Two’s training have on the workforce and the joy Shari feels when a company says (and they do) that these individuals changed their workforce for the better
- Shari’s philosophy of seeing hardship as a challenge: “…if the darkness is that great like how much brighter can we shine.”
- her special Silver Lining Moment
Shari, Derek, and the TWO are the embodiment of “two are better than one”. We each have our strengths and skills; no one is perfect by themselves. On our own, we may limit our potential. With the support of others, our potential may be realized and expanded. And, we can be that support for others.
From this conversation, I felt the love for my fellow person and humanity; I was inspired to look for ways to live this idea of “two are better than one” in my own life and with Silver Lining Moments; and I discovered how a:
a moment of ONE is lined by TWO.
Thank you for listening to Silver Lining Moments.
By Shari sharing and by you listening, together we are:
expanding love and light,
one person at a time,
one story at a time,
one Silver Lining Moment at a time.