Silver Lining Moments:
a space for conversations, thoughts, and ideas that expand love and light
“Businesses can be a great force for good.” Do you agree with this statement?
If you agree with this statement, listening to a CEO share how his company reinforces this statement through its business decisions and operations is emboldening. If you do not agree with this statement, learning about a business that considers its impact on profits, yes, but also on its employees, the community, and the environment, may challenge your thoughts. Either way, this episode is for you.
John Lowe is CEO of Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams.
In this conversation, John and I discuss:
- How the story of Jeni’s beginning is a sweet love story of passion and purpose,
- How Jeni’s was founded by “people who believe you can do good things through business and be a great steward for your community, help your employees and who thought of the world as far away from the traditional capitalism ideals” and who aligned their business to these beliefs,
- How John led Jeni’s through a business crisis and risked bankruptcy to protect its employees and consumers,
- The Conscious Capitalism movement & Certified B Corporations, and
- Why John feels like the “world’s luckiest guy” & why I now think I should have gone to bars more often during law school.
My hope is that by the end of this episode, you are asking, not whether businesses can be a great force for good, but asking:
- How can my business be a great force for good, or
- How can I, as a consumer, demand that more businesses be a great force for good?
As for me, from my conversation with John, I realize how:
a moment of BUSINESS is lined by GOOD.
Thank you for listening to Silver Lining Moments.
By John sharing and by you listening, together we are:
expanding love and light,
one person at a time,
one story at a time,
one Silver Lining Moment at a time.