A SLM conversation with Gerrard Gosens
Silver Lining Moments:
a space for conversations, thoughts, and ideas that expand love and light
“Enter as Strangers, Leave as Friends.” These words welcomed me as I was walked into Chocolate Moments in Brisbane, Australia. Walking into the store was a serendipitous happenstance that led to this episode with the store’s owner, Gerrard Gosens.
Gerrard Gosens was born with congenital blindness. Even though he has never seen a day in his life, he lives a life full of adventure and experiences. These are some of his accomplishments:
- Climbed Mount Everest
- Ran over 2,000 km to raise money for charity – 5 times
- Represented Australia in the Paralympics – multiple times
- Competed on Australia’s Dancing with the Stars
- Received the Order of Australia
- Awarded the Fervent Global Love of Life Medal for his humanitarian efforts
- Makes delicious chocolate
As he discusses these experiences and his outlook on life, it becomes clear that:
ALTHOUGH HE IS BLIND, HE IS A MAN WITH GREAT VISION
In this SLM episode, we discuss:
- His different adventures and accomplishments
- How exactly does a blind person swim in open water for a triathlon course, dance with a partner showing passion on his face, and simple activities of everyday life
- His daily schedule of training three times a day, making chocolate for Chocolate Moments, and working full-time as a project manager
- His love of the “Bad Dad Jokes” and puns
- His upcoming book “My Eyes Have a Wet Nose”
- Trusting in people and situations
- Looking for the opportunity in every situation
I walked into Chocolate Moments as a stranger but I left our SLM conversation as a friend. In my conversation with Gerrard, I realize how:
a moment of BLINDNESS is lined by VISION.
While many of my SLM guests do charitable work, which I support and applaud, I generally do not promote their fundraising efforts in the podcast. However, I am making the exception with Gerrard. He has spent his life helping others and now he needs some help. https://www.gofundme.com/f/gerrard-gosens-blind-chocolatier
Thank you for listening to Silver Lining Moments.
By Gerrard sharing and by you listening, together we are:
expanding love and light,
one person at a time,
one story at a time,
one Silver Lining Moment at a time.